National Board Field Tests
Test Drive Certification
The National Board is seeking PreK-12 teachers in most content areas, as well as college and graduate students pursuing a teaching license, to volunteer to take part in in-person and virtual field tests of the revised National Board Certification process.
We are currently accepting applications to field test Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment. Participation for this component will begin once field testers are selected.
Resources for Component 3
- General Portfolio Instructions
- Certificate-Specific Portfolio Instructions and Scoring Rubrics
- Instructional Planning Form
- Introduction to Entry Form
- Instructional Context Form
Participants for the Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment field test must fill out the release forms below and submit them with their portfolios:
We are also accepting applications for Component 1: Content Knowledge, phase 2 field test.
The Content Knowledge field test consists of two portions. The first part is the Constructed Response Items (CRIs) test and the second part is the Selected Response Items (SRIs) test. Both portions will begin in April-August 2015 with exam dates varying depending on different certificate areas.
Therefore, if you are selected for both portions of the Content Knowledge field test, you will need to schedule two separate appointments. Participants may be able to schedule back-to-back appointments based on the availability at the testing centers.
The redesigned Career and Technical Education (CTE) certification is available for field testing in Component 1. Resources for CTE, including the new Career and Technical Education Standards and CTE Component 1 instructions are expected to be published on boardcertifiedteachers.org by early March.
Field testing for the other three CTE components will take place in 2016-17. You will find the schedule for CTE below:
|Component 1 Field Tested||Component 1 Operational||Component 1 Operational|
|Component 2 Field Tested||Component 2 Operational|
|Component 3 Field Tested||Component 3 Operational|
|Component 4 Field Tested||Component 4 Operational|
If you are interested in pursuing National Board Certification, the field tests are your opportunity to "test drive" the process at no cost and no risk. Selected participants will be notified by the National Board.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How much does it cost to participate in the field tests?
A: There is no cost for you to participate.
Q. Where will the field tests be given?
A. The Content Knowledge field tests will be given at a Pearson VUE Assesment center. Component 3 will take place online by uploading your ePortfolio.
Q: Are there any incentives for taking part in the field tests?
A: As a token of our thanks, field test participants will be eligible to receive:
- Recognition: A letter of commendation from the National Board for your commitment to this effort.
- CEUs: The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is offering two (2) Continuing Education Units ($75 per CEU) or one (1) graduate credit ($300 per credit) to the participants in the 2015 Field Test for Component 3 – “Teaching Practice and Classroom Environment” of the revised National Board Certification Process. This offer will also apply to the participants in the Component 1 phase 2 – “Content Knowledge” Field Test. For a syllabus of requirements and how to enroll directions for the 2015 Spring and Summer Terms, visit our website - http://www.uccs.edu/extendedstudies/teachers.html click “NBPTS Programs.”
- Gift cards: Component 1: Content Knowledge - Up to $50 in either Amazon or Powell's Books gift cards, $25 upon successful completion of each online testing appointment (Selected Response Items, Constructed Response Items).
- Right to resubmit: The National Board will grant field test participants for Component 3 and 4 the right to resubmit portions of their portfolios for certification purposes. For more information regarding the legality of this incentive click here.
Q: Will I get a score after the test?
A: No scores will be given to participants, as the field tests are for research only and cannot be counted toward certification. The purpose of the field test is to help shape the future of National Board Certification for the benefit of teachers across the country. It is also your opportunity to test drive the certification process before jumping in.
Q. Can I pursue certification at the same time as participating in the field tests?
A. It is not necessary to be Board certified to participate, and you can pursue certification as a candidate while taking part in the field tests.
Q. Am I eligible to participate in Component 1: Content Knowledge phase 2 if I already participated in the first phase?
A. Field test participants who have taken the Selected Response portion in phase 1 of Content Knowledge will only be eligible to take the Constructed Response portion in phase 2. While participants who have taken the Constructed Response portion in phase 1 can only take the Selected Response portion in phase 2.
Q. How do I submit my Component 3 portfolio?
A. You will submit your portfolio entry electronically using our online submission system. The submission window is April 1, 2015 - May 20, 2015. In order to submit your portfolio using the ePortfolio system, you will need a voucher code. You will receive your voucher code on April 1, 2015 if you are selected.
More questions? Email us at email@example.com.